What is Narcan?
- Narcan is a medication that reverses an opioid overdose
- Narcan can be given nasally or intravenously
- Narcan can be used by medical professionals and bystanders to prevent opioid overdose
- Narcan works in 1 to 3 minutes and lasts 30 to 90 minutes. (It can take longer if multiple drugs have been used or methadone is present.)
- If it takes longer than 3–5 minutes, a second dose is recommended
- Overdose can return; stay with the person or transfer care to emergency personnel
Where to Get Narcan
All Massachusetts’ pharmacies have a standing order for Narcan. The cost varies depending on your insurance.
Narcan rescue kits are also available for free at your local Overdose Eduction and Naloxone Distribute (OEND Site). View a list of all OEND sites.
Manet Community Health Center located in Quincy is the closest OEND site.
A Manet Prevention Specialist can teach you how to use Narcan and supply this medication to you free of charge.
Call (Quincy/Hull) 857.939.4108, (Taunton) 781-664-4637 or e-mail: email@example.com.